The results from the literature review regarding the Cypriot educational school system showed that
- 16% of the school population in Primary Education and 19% in Secondary Education during the school year 2020 -2021 do not speak Greek as their first language
- The top four countries of origin are Romania, Georgia, Bulgaria and Syria
- Recently arrived migrant children from war-torn or economically less-developed countries present challenges
- Some national initiatives were organized to help students and teachers in the context of school inclusion and non-discrimination. Some of them were directed to third country children in Cyprus while other programs are addressed to students in Cyprus and others to train teachers
- The report used good practices and recommendation from the European Commission Report to be used in the Cypriot context to help third-country national students adapt to the new environment, other students to accept and help with the integration and finally, teachers to support and be prepared to fulfill all children’s needs.
Read Passage’s project Cypriot National Report.